- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 hatch chiles
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 cups shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- toppings: sour cream, tortilla chips*, chopped cilantro, avocado
- Preheat broiler. Slice tomatoes in half then place cut side down onto baking sheet along with chiles. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the skins are starting to blacken.
- Once cool enough to touch: peel, deseed, destem and chop the chiles
- Preheat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil then add onions, cook for about five minutes or until starting to soften. Add garlic and cumin, cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and their juices to pan. Pour in chicken broth and stir well. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, then blend mixture well with a hand blender (alternatively you can pour mixture into a blender in batches then pour back into pot). Stir in shredded chicken and chopped roasted chiles. Allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and ladle into soup bowls. Add toppings as desired and serve immediately.
*To add an extra special touch: Make your own tortilla chips by simply cutting corn tortillas in strips. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven on 400 until crispy. About 5-10 minutes.